Gayle Martin Sanders and Ron Logan Sutherland met in the late '70s at a high-end audio store. They shared a passion for music and soon discovered electrostatic loudspeakers.
For anyone seeking the ultimate in sonic purity and clarity, electrostatics held enormous appeal. Unfortunately, designing and building one that will also produce the sound levels and bass extension most people expect from a loudspeaker is a formidable challenge, even today. Back then, only a relative handful of electrostatic speakers had ever been brought to market. Sanders and Sutherland convinced each other they could do better. They were sure they could build an electrostatic speaker that would produce adequate bass, output, and sound dispersion without arcing, blowing up amplifiers, or otherwise offending people not interested in a living-room science project.
The first prototype was ready in 1980. Naturally, it still had that science-project quality—a flat aluminium panel sprouting wires, struts, transformers, and power supplies, connected to an amplifier in Sanders' living room. It sounded even better than expected, but when they turned up the volume, a lightning storm erupted across the panel and music was replaced by a plume of smoke drifting toward the ceiling. Still, they knew they were close. At the 1983 CE Show, they displayed their full-range hybrid electrostatic loudspeaker they called the Monolith and sales started to flow over the coming years. By 1988 sales had increased tenfold and their plant expanded to include a large, dedicated production space. In 1989, and again in 1990, Inc. magazine recognized MartinLogan as one of the 500 fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States.
In the early 1990's MartinLogan released the world's first electrostatic centre-channel and on-wall surround-channel speakers, establishing MartinLogan as a major player in the emerging home theatre market
In January of 2005 MartinLogan once again raised the bar for high-performance audio with the release of the Summit electrostat. A major departure from all things that came before, Summit combines dual independently powered woofers with MartinLogan's most advanced electrostatic transducer to date - the XStat.
We always aim to maintain a large range of products on demonstration in-store. If you would like to audition a specific product, please let us know in advance so that we can confirm it is on demonstration and isn't out on loan with another client. With this notice, we can also have the requested products set-up and ready for you to audition in your preferred combination.
- Martin Logan Mikros 70 Reference In-Ear Headphones Martin Logan$219.00
- Martin Logan Helos 22 In-Ceiling Single Stereo Speaker Martin Logan$949.00
- Martin Logan Motion SLM XL Speaker (Single Speaker) Martin Logan$1,299.00
- Martin Logan Helos 12 In-Ceiling Speakers (Per Pair) Martin Loganwas $1,498.00 Special Price $1,349.00
- Martin Logan Motion 20 Floor Standing Speakers - Ex-Demonstration Martin Loganwas $2,999.00 Special Price $1,499.00
- Martin Logan Electromotion In-Wall Speakers (Pair) Martin Loganwas $1,998.00 Special Price $1,899.00
- Martin Logan Electromotion IC In-Ceiling Speakers (Per Pair) Martin Loganwas $2,198.00 Special Price $1,999.00
- Martin Logan Electromotion FX2 Surround Speakers (Pair) Martin Loganwas $2,499.00 Special Price $2,299.00
- Martin Logan Electromotion R In-Ceiling Speakers (Per Pair) Martin Loganwas $2,698.00 Special Price $2,499.00